Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

can dogs take valium that was prescribed for a human if so,

can dogs take valium that was prescribed for a human?
if so, what is the correct dosage for a 20 pound dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : The valium prescribed for people is the same drug which is used in dogs. This drug is in fact sometimes prescribed for dogs as a tranquiliser and to treat diseases such as epilepsy. While I cannot encourage you to self treat your dog I can tell you the following for your interest and education.

The typical dose rate for dogs would be in a range between 0.25 mg and 1 mg per pound of the dogs bodyweight given up to three times a day. The actual dose rate and the frequency of administration would depend on the precise situation. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I try to provide a link so they can verify the accuracy of what I have said and read the contraindications etc. LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS