ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

I have been working away. I came home today my son has told

I have been working away. I came home today my son has told me my dogs nose has been bleeding for 2 days. she is cherpy not showing no signs of being ill. its not poring just dripping every now again from her left nostal
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Has she been sneezing? Any injuries lately? History of medical problems or allergies?

What breed is she?

Check her gums and tongue- are they nice and pink? If not, how do they look?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she has not sneezed or hurt herself she is a rottie. pink tongue no allergies. shes fussy like she normally is she does seem to be drinking a bit more. shes eating fine shes so greedy lol.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
please can you reply
Thanks for replying.

There are a few things to consider here. It's a little worrisome that she didn't just hit her muzzle into something or have a sneezing fit to cause irritation, as then it is more likely this is something that won't just heal up on its own and will require a vet visit.

There are various things which can cause nose bleeds in dogs. Clotting problems (which can develop from an immune mediated problem), foreign material within the sinus cavity or brain- like inhaled grass or other matter, masses/ tumors, infectious material, etc. When this is the case, eventually you'd see other signs: infectious discharge from nostril, dizziness, weakness, changes in appetite and/or thirst (not always decreased, sometimes an increase), seizures, or just about any other change in looks or behavior.

You'll want your vet to take a look inside that nostril for any signs of inflammation or infection. Often this cannot be achieved with great results without a rhinoscopy, which may not be available in smaller, rural vet hospitals. This however would show anything that may have been inhaled and still stuck up there, or any signs of infmammation requiring treatment. A culture may need to be done if infection is suspected, a CT/MRI or x-ray may be warranted if neurological signs begin to develop. Bloodwork is a must to determine if the body itself just isn't clotting well or has some other type of malfunction right now to cause this problem. In older dogs, that is not that uncommon, and treatment or management is available for just about everything if found early enough.

There are quite a few other things which can cause nose bleeds, including but not limited to: XXXXX XXXXX diseases, heartworm, lepto, trauma, hypertension (high blood pressure), neoplasias, and of course sinusitis. Here's a link to read more about it:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/epistaxis-in-dogs/page3.aspx

You can apply cold compresses to the muzzle if bleeding isn't stopping, but if the bleeding becomes moderate to severe, this becomes an emergency. There are medications your vet can use directly in the nose to help stop the bleeding.

Best of luck to you, and please let me know if I can help you further.

Christine