ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

how do I give my dog an enigma

how do I give my dog an enigma?
What breed is your dog?

What are his symptoms?

Is he defecating at all?
eating/drinking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nina is XXXXX XXXXX/chichuahua
her stomach is viberiting with pain, and she is drinking water and eat some fed by hand last night,
has not popo for3 1/2 days
normally we give 5 mg pepcid and we started sunday
she the same symtoms when we brought her to the vet. and that was what he precripted and it work
Pepcid is an antacid which works great for stomach upsets, but once a dog is backed up in the intestines it isn't going to help.

For starters, I would be adding a small amount of vegetable or mineral oil to the feedings. Just a tbsp or so at first, as you don't want to overdo it and cause diarrhea. You can always increase the amount a bit. The oil will lubricate the intestinal lining and push the contents along the tract more quickly than normal.

Once regulated, stop the oil, but you may want to add a higher fiber to the diet, like oat bran, regular canned pumpkin, or cottage cheese when starting to see firmer stools, or you can even compare what you are feeding now with higher fiber diets sold in the store (fiber content listed on packages).

For immediate relief of what is in the colon (unfortunate there is no way for you to help what's backed up further up from home), you can get a syringe (any pharmacy) with 6-12mL of warm soapy water and a few drops of oil added, squirted directly into the rectum (squirted as high up as you can). This will be messy. It may help break up what's blocking the rectum. Between this and oral treatment, you may be able to get things moving again without a vet visit.

If the constipation problem becomes chronic regardless, there could be an underlying medical reason on why the intestines are not absorbing appropriate amounts of water, and then a vet visit with some blood work may be in order. If you ever see increased urinating along with constipation, that would be a key sign that your dog is getting dehydrated and needs vet assistance.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further. Hope your dog is better in no time.

Christine