Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

my chihuahua had a mucus bloody stool

my chihuahua had a mucus bloody stool
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

How old is your girl?

When did this start?

Has she had any bones, raw hides or non food items lately?

Any other symptoms? (Vomiting, lethargic, gas, or diarrhea)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is almost 2
no diarreha
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Blood in the stool is typically one of two things a parasite infection or a blockage of some type it is often referred to as Colitis. Though there are other causes such as IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) and other more serious problems such as Cancer.

I suspect that the dog may have ingested something that is causing irritation but it could be parasites as well. Your going to need to go to the vets for a fecal smear and a examination to make sure there are no underlying issues causing the problem.

If it is going to be a few hours or more until the dog can see the vet I would recommend putting the dog on a bland diet to help settle down the digestive track. Boiled chicken and white rice (1 part boiled chicken breast to 3 parts rice). Make sure you rinse the chicken well and cool before giving it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she almost seems to be constipated
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Constipation could be the cause of the blood but mucus is not a symptom of constipation so it is likely something else causing the problem. Either way unless this was a one time deal and a small amount of blood she will need to be seen. If it was only once and it was only a small amount then you can feed the bland diet and place a couple teaspoons of canned pumpkin (Not pumpkin pie filler) into her bland diet and monitor her. Should you see more blood, or if this was more then once, or a good amount of blood then you really have to have her evaluated by her vet and a fecal smear done.