ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

Hi Have a golden who started facial swelling a few hours

Customer Question

Hi> Have a golden who started facial swelling a few hours ago, not getting worse now and still eating . Any dieas? Thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 7 years ago.

This is most likely an allergic reaction, often seen with insect or spider bites. You can start to relieve it by giving benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight (can be rounded up a bit if needed for easier dosing, but no more than 2mg per pound, may cause drowsiness at any dose).

Capsules are much easier than liquid if you have it, and it can be repeated again in 8 hours if needed. The swelling should start subsiding within 1/2 hr to 45 minutes. Check for signs of hives appearing or difficulty breathing, and if these occur even after benadryl has been given, you'll need a vet visit for injectable, fast acting and longer lasting prescription treatment.

Cool water compresses to the face can also help. If the swelling seems more like a 'lump', then it would sound more like an abscess, requiring vet treatment to lance and drain it.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. Cam on suddenly, so I didn't think it was tooth related! Appreciate your info.
Best wishes,