NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dog has a lump under his left ear, not active, very lethargic

Customer Question

My dog has a lump under his left ear, not active, very lethargic and sleepy. He was given antibotics but they don't seem to be helping. What could be his problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like he has a bad ear infection which may be causing a lymph node to swell.

Those can be slow to heal.

If you are seeing improvements, I'd keep up the good nursing care and give the meds a couple more days to work. Ear infections can be slow to clear and ear pain as well as infection can make a dog feel pretty awful.

If the Petsmart vet is open tomorrow or Sunday I'd suggest you check back in with them over the weekend if your dog isn't seeming any better.

You can read about ear infections here

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_infections.html

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I forgot to note that his eyes are red and he is having trouble seeing. He can see but I think that since his eyes hurt he keeps them closed to make him feel better.

Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

If you are now seeing eye issues then I'd get him back to the vet poor guy!

You can at home rinse them out with sterile saline which may make them feel a little better.

With eye problems its best to get in person vet care again.

This may be a part of the same infection or it might be due to the eyes being short on tears causing a sore on the cornea etc.

You can read about conjunctivitis infection here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2092&aid=251

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No my dog had the eye issues. I had forgot to mention it. Could he have the flu that is going around, have mumps, or have eaten something to have caused this? Doesn't the ears have connections with the throat. I think his throat hurts also. I can't afford to go back to the vet, I don't have any more credit on my credit card, and there isn't a place here for me to take that provides service at cheap prices. We are super worried and my kids would be devasted if he was to die.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Dogs do not get human flu, they don't get mumps and its unlikely eating a non food item would cause ear infection and eye problems.

If he has not completed his shots distemper is a possibility

http://marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_distemper.html

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is distemper curable? Is it curable with antibotics or will the medicine help him to health? After getting his shots will it go away?

Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Do please read the information on the links provided as that will answer a lot of your questions.

Only an in person vet can make a real diagnosis so you need to see a vet again with him.

Shots are preventions not cures. They keep a dog from getting dangerous contagious diseases by teaching the immune system how to fight the infection. They don't help once the dog is sick.