Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

My dog seemed to have all his muscles contract or lock-up for

My dog seemed to have all his muscles contract or lock-up for a minute or two, he seemed scared and his neck was stretched out. Couldn't seem to move or lay down.

From your description, it's possible that your dog experienced a seizure. Seizures in dogs are caused by various factors, including epilepsy, but sometimes the cause cannot be identified, and then it's classified as 'idiopathic', literally meaning 'with no known cause'.

If your dog is acting himself, now, and not having difficulty breathing, that's great, but monitor him carefully and have him evaluated by his vet as soon as possible, for diagnosis and treatment.

If he seems to exhibit the same symptoms again, tonight/today, it would be advisable to have him seen by an ER vet center and not wait for your regular vet, if it's now after hours for you.

Keep him calm and continue to watch him and I hope all will be well with your furry boy.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also forgot to mention that he did have a little drool come from his mouth when it happened. He semms to be breathing and acting fine now but I am afraid if I do nothing he might have an issue while I am sleeping. I can take him to to his vet on tuesday morning. Do you think I could feel safe till then if he is acting normal now?
Hi again, and thanks for your reply and your accept.

The drool you noticed is not uncommon during a seizure, and sometimes he could urinate involuntarily, too.

Of course there are no guarantees, and I completely understand your worry while you're sleeping, but try to keep him near you so you can hear if he doesn't feel well.

If he's acting normally and breathing well, he should be alright until you can have him seen by your vet. If you could bring him in earlier than Tuesday, I'd advise that. If your vet is not in on Monday, bring him to another local vet.

Just keep a close eye on him and you always have the ER vet center as an option if he seems to be in distress at all.

Cher (sending this as an information request so you are not prompted to click 'accept' an additional time)