Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

My dog is ripping his hair out around his tail and top of his

My dog is ripping his hair out around his tail and top of his back he had a injection last week and its not helped and his sores are getting wosre??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Your dog may be affected by contact, food or inhalant allergies or external parasites like fleas or mites.

It would be helpful if the vet could do a skin scraping (painless) from the affected area, and this would provide more diagnostic information.

For the moment, ask your vet if the antihistamine Benadryl might help ease his itching and discomfort.

Also, bathing in an oatmeal shampoo made for dogs, will help soothe the skin.

I hope your dog is feeling much more comfortable as soon as he's definitely diagnosed and treated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do u mean the human vervison on benadryl??
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply and your accept.

Yes, there is only one Benadryl, which is for human use, and can also be used in dogs, that's why I included the link to dosage and side effect information of this over the counter medication in dogs. It's always recommended to consult with your vet first, before giving your dog any over the counter medication.