ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

My toy poodle has a chronic cough that seems to be slowly getting

My toy poodle has a chronic cough that seems to be slowly getting worse. What is the cause and treatment.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble.

Did your vet run any blood or urine tests other than a heartworm test?

Is you dog on regular heartworm preventative?

Was a blood smear performed?

Did your vet take any chest x-rays?

does your dog have a heart murmur?

Does your dog have alot of tartar build up on her teeth? Bad breath?

Let me know and I will try to help..........

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No blood or urine tests, yes on heartworm preventative, no blood smear or x-ray or heart murmer, she had her teeth cleaned 2 months ago, but breath is still not good.
Thank you for the additional information. I am worried that your dog may be suffering from some form of heart disease. As dogs age they are prone to a long list of illnesses, and several of them involve the heart and lungs. In order to figure out why your dog is coughing, you will need to have your vet run some blood and urine tests and take some chest x-rays. A cardiac ultrasound may also be necessary if anything suspicious is seen on x-ray. Dental disease can exascerbate an existing illness because the bacteria that accumulate in the mouth can enter the blood stream and wreak havoc in the internal organs (liver, kidneys, heart etc). I worry that the cough will continue to worsen, and that your dog could develop difficulty breathing if this happens. Diagnosing the problem and starting treatment is imperative, but it can only happen after basic diagnostic tests are completed. Please try to have your dog seen by her vet tomorrow and let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your dog, I hope she feels better soon :)