Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog got into a fight with another dog....they were both

My dog got into a fight with another dog....they were both off leash. The other dog died and now the owners want my dog put to sleep for being a dangerous dog. Can this happen? Thie is a first happening for my dog. She usually plays with 8-10 other dogs and everything is fine. This little chihauhau came yipping and yapping at her and she took it as aggression. Cna these owners have the court make my dog die?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Whether your dog is branded as a dangerous dog and as such is euthanized varies from state to state and even city to city.

In the city I live in, in northern MN, a dog is automatically labeled as dangerous if they attack a human...however, nothing really happens if they hurt of kill another dog. There might be a fine, but the dog isn't euthanized unless they're a repeat offender (meaning it's not the first dog it killed).

The best bet to find out what the rules and statutes are in your area is to call your city clerk's office and ask them for the statutes on dogs at large...this will tell you what could happen with your dog.

I hope this helps.