Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My border collie has a skin problem. She is itching, scratching

Customer Question

My border collie has a skin problem. She is itching, scratching and licking constantly. this started just after we moved into an apartment. she has some bald spots on her upper hind legs, sides and front legs. she has sores, not bumps in these spots from scratching, a distinctive smell all over her skin starts not too long after bathing, she seems oily and the smell comes off onto your hands. she has large flakes/scales coming off of her pear and back. at times her whole body looks flush when it's not hot in the house. she doesn't seem to have any interior issues, anti-itch sprays don't seem to help, she had a few fleas months ago, but not sense. No change in diet. no mites. no ringworm. I have been researching, and it seems like maybe Seborrheic dermatitis, which may have caused a yeast infection? But I don't really know. What are your opinions of the situation, what over the counter treatments can I try to rule things out, and my father is a micro-biologist, what can he do to help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

hello thanks for your question,

It is very likely that you are dealing with either Seborrheic dermatitis as you suspect or a bactorial skin infection which happens often when the lick the open sores created by scratching.

If you really want to try over the counter you can try a monistat cream used to treat yeast infections, apply 2x daily.however if after 5 days you see no change I would recommand having her seen by a vet to rule out a skin infection and or have your baby placed on antibiotics. If you do notice a change I would continue to use for 10 days

I would also recommand cleaning the areas daily with an antibactorial soap.

You may also want to pick up a halo collar so she can not lick while you are trying to clear this up

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your quick response
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.
So glad I could help
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if it is Seborrheic dermatitis, that is treated through bathing in a dog dandruf shampoo right? is there a shampoo you would recomend? we shaved her about a month ago, and that seemed to help, there are no longer sores from scratching, just redness. inside her ears there is no redness, but i can feel small bumps and scabs. there is no smell inside them. Is this likely to be the result of scraching the outside of her ears? or somthing else? Dad is a microbiologist, with full equipment at his disposal. What should I give him to look at? skin flakes? swab any sores? and what should he look for?
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

You can swab her ears rub on a slide ask your dad if he has gram stain which I am sure he does stain the slide then you want to look for binding yeast and can also do this on area of effected skin. For the skin you can use a piece of clear scotch tape press the tape on the skin then put the tape on a slide and stain as suggested, check for the same thing

Head and shoulders for people works real well for the dermatitis an oatmeal bath works well too if he appears itchy.