NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

my shih tzu is shaking. i tried to pick her up and she cried.

Customer Question

my shih tzu is shaking. i tried to pick her up and she cried. her tummy feels hard to touch. she is not moving or eating or drinking
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

If your dog might have gotten into anything toxic, appears dehydrated (see if a pinch of skin over the shoulder blade stays stuck in a tent form or flows back down normally when released), perhaps was given a fatty treat before this started, has a rectal temp over 103.5F (normal is 100.5-102.5F), has gums or tongue that look white, blue, gray or yellow tinted where they are normally pink, has a slow color refill if you press on a pink area of gum or tongue, or is becoming more lethargic and non responsive to you as time goes on, then you may want to get the dog in to see an emergency vet if one is available in your area.

This site may help you locate an emergency vet if you need one

If the dog got a fatty treat this could be digestive upset or pancreatitis

If the color is off this could indicate problems with getting enough oxygen or a heart issue or possibly anemia.

A high temp of course may mean an infection. A low one is also a concern indicating the body is not running right.

With this breed she could also have a spinal problem causing her a lot of pain. Dogs will hold their abdomens tight trying to guard from their back hurting. You can read about disc issues here

crying out with movement of the spine is one sign and picking her up could do that.

But liver disease, an inflamed spleen could also cause a rigid stomach and pain when lifted.

If you cannot see an emergency vet to night, I'd keep her quiet and see your vet first thing when they open.

Hope this helps you!