Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My lab has a fluid filled cyst on his ear which seems to be

My lab has a fluid filled cyst on his ear which seems to be enlarging. What is the cause?
What is the liklihood that it will continue to enlarge? What treatments are available, recommended? How can the possibility of a reoccurence be minimized?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Does he have any redness or odor in the ear?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no redness or odor in the ear. Just a pillowlike swelling in the flap of the ear-- like a separation of the top and bottom of the flap. no apparent dicomfort.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
OK, thanks for the reply. This sounds like an Aural Hematoma, which is essentially a large blood-blister inside the flap of the ear. It is usually caused by head-shaking or scratching at the ear flap, leading to breakage of the blood vessels. There are many different treatments available, ranging from surgery, to draining with a needle, to just oral medication to reduce scar tissue formation. If nothing is done, there will be significant scar tissue formation and curling of the ear flap. In most cases, there's an underlying allergy causing the problem, or an ear infection, so those issues must be ruled out as causes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the recommended course of treatment?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
That will vary depending on what underlying cause is identified by your veterinarian, and what therapy he or she has had good results with. Personally, I have had good results with draining the hematoma with a needle, and starting on Prednisone for 4 to 6 weeks. Since starting to use this approach, I have not needed to perform the surgical correction on one of these hematomas.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Any recommendations to avoid reoccurrence?

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Once again, that depends on the cause - all I can offer is that you need to have the underlying cause identified, and treated.