Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

I was wondering what the doseage of Tylan 50 would be to be

I was wondering what the doseage of Tylan 50 would be to be given to a lactating female? Is it safe for the puppies?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

For what condition do you want to give your dog Tylan?

How old are the puppies?

Has this medication been prescribed by the vet for your dog?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am concerned that my girl might have Metritis. She had a very long and difficult delivery. She threw up yesterday 3 times, didn't really eat much. She has been fine so far today, not throwing up and has been eating. She whelped on 9/30. Puppies are 4 days old today. I have been raising German Shepherds for 8 years. I spoke to another breeder friend who had mentioned giving my girl Tylan 50, (which is labeled for cattle and swine) I wasn't sure the doseage and if the puppies would be affected.

She has bloody mucus discharge as well. I did give her a dose of long lasting penicillan after whelp and last night. No, this was not prescribed by my vet. Thank you.

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional and helpful information.

Congratulations on your new puppies, and I'm sorry your dog is not feeling well.

Dogs can tolerate Tylosin powder administered orally, and it is safe for pregnant and lactating bitches, mainly for the purpose of eliminating tear staining in breeds that are prone to this condition, but I would not recommend giving your girl injectable Tylan, especially after she has already had a long lasting dose of Penicillin. Injectable Tylan is not prescribed for dogs, so there is no dosage information available.

Your best course of action would be to have your girl evaluated by her vet for a definite diagnosis of her symptoms, and then treatment, which will be safest and most appropriate for her and her nursing puppies.

I realize that you'd rather self-treat, but in this particular situation, it is highly recommended that her condition is assessed and treated by a vet, as soon as possible.

I hope all will be well with your new mom and puppies, once she is treated by the vet.

Edited by Cher on 10/4/2009 at 10:10 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

Can you please tell me if you think she might be developing Metritis? Would her symptoms worsen from yesterday? She seems to be fine today, she has not thrown up, she is eating good, feeding puppies, and active. I checked her gums and they seem to appear normal.

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and you're most welcome. Thanks for your reply.

Because her symptoms have decreased since yesterday, that's encouraging. This may be due to the penicillin you gave her or she didn't have metritis to begin with. If she had developed metritis, her symptoms most likely would have worsened. Here is more information about metritis:

As you may know, symptoms of metritis are similar to those of pyometra, another serious uterine infection, sometimes also occurring after delivery, when bacteria may enter the open cervix.

Because metritis is most commonly caused by a retained placenta or retained puppy, a physical exam to positively rule out these conditions, would be safest for your dog.

The fact that she is acting much better than yesterday and is attentive to her puppies, is great! I hope this continues.