Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 10 years.

Hi, I have a 10 year old Jack Russell(Jack who is usually

I have a 10 year old XXXXX XXXXX(Jack who is usually very healthy, active &
happy. 2 days ago we came in the house after being in the backyard and I noticed his left fore thumb nail had been hurt. This has happened before
and is, I know , very painful...and tender and he'll lick and fiddle with
it till it comes off...& then he's fine. But immediately upon coming inside, he started to shake and act really weird. He doesn't want to go outside to pee or poop, he's freaked to go outside...he's very lethargic
and just stares at the wall. This isn't like him at all...he is eating, and last nighthe did go outside and poop, but we're afraid maybe something bit him orhe ate a frog or something. He quivers sometimes when we try to cajol him into playing. He did chase a squirrel this morning(but just for a moment...not his usual all out chase. The nail did come off and doesn't
seem to be bothering him now...but it's just like he had a nevous breakdown
or something. Please help!

I am sorry to hear that your boy has undergone some sort of trauma.

I would tend to agree with you that he either got bit by something, or got his toe caught in a fence or board or something of that nature.

I think that the best thing to do is give him time. If he had any sort of infection associated with this nail, it may have caused a fever and therefore triggered some lethargy at home.

If he isn't eating or drinking well, and doesn't show improvement in the next 2-3 days, I would have him evaluated by your veterinarian to make sure that there isn't something affecting him systemically.

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them using the "reply" function.

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig