How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sally G. Your Own Question
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 9259
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Sally G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are Sea Grapes (coccoloba) poisonous to dogs

Resolved Question:

Are Sea Grapes (coccoloba) poisonous to dogs?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

I don't see them on the dangerous or toxic to dog list which you can find here. Of course no list may be complete until something has been documented to have caused a problem but this list seems pretty long.

 

This is the plant I think you are talking about. (12th one down)http://www.ardastra.com/bahamasplantinfo.html

 

And here is the list of toxic plants.

http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

 

I would say that if you see the dogs acting ill then grab a sample of the plant and take them both to your vet or call the poison control hot line as they do deal with this more than vets do.

 

1-800-213-6680.
Pet Poison Helpline.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I agree with your answer....I just know grapes in general are toxic and can cause kidney failure. But since these are of a different variety....I was hoping for a specific answer and there may not be one. I have already searched the toxic plant list and even consulted a master gardener who thinks not. But I don't know that he knows specifically about dogs.

 

Yes, you found the correct plant.

 

Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.
I don't think you will have to worry, I think it is just the name of the plant, I don't believe they are the grapes you are thinking of. Yes the grapes we eat can cause kidney failure and they would have to be eaten in a large quantity, at least a pound, however raisins are more concentrated so it would take less to cause a problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just so you know.....there are grapes that grow on this plant and people do make jams and jellies out of them but they do have a more sizable pit to them. But I am glad to know that it has to be in large quantity and that raisins are more concentrated. Thank you very much

 

Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

You are welcome. For now just keep an eye out for any signs of change such as listlessness , vomiting, lack of appetite. Now another problem if enough are eaten is that they may cause a blockage if the pits were eaten. You would see the same signs as above.

Here is information on regular grapes and raisins.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Sally G. and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

In reading further it does say to watch all grapes the dog eats, now you are telling me people make jams out of these which I was unaware of, so if large amounts were eaten then call the poison control hotline or your vet. In finding another site on this plant it led me to the site below which still says the dog would have to ingest 32 grams, just over one pound, for toxic results, but you may want to induce vomiting if they have eaten a lot .within the last two hours.

 

 

although this site is not specific to the plant you mention it is specific to grapes.

http://tripatlas.com/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs



Edited by Sally Grott on 9/30/2009 at 9:11 PM EST