NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

How long does a parvo recovery last and what are the good signs

How long does a parvo recovery last and what are the good signs and long long should this last?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

The good news is once recovered there are no lingering after effects of parvo infection.

Good signs would be the dog stop passing bloody stool, cease vomiting and be able to hold down food taken by mouth.

You can read about Parvo here and it goes through all aspects of it really well

The recovery period is usually about 1-2 weeks.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a Boston Terrier that is at the Vets office and when she got there she was unresponsive and would not move having diarrhea and vomitting she has stopped the diarrhea and vomitting and she is moving around now does this sound like she is starting to recover?
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Oh she sounds really ill poor girl!

I'd say the work your vet is doing is helping her. But do read through the parvo site I gave you.

If you can't get the vomiting and diarrhea under control with 4 days of treatment, and she tested as positive for parvo, her odds of recovery would be lower.

But with that stopping and treament working those are positive steps towards recovery.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does it make a difference in her recovery that she is a year old
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.
Yes an older dog typically has a better immune system to fight off disease than a baby puppy would.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what would the probability of recovery be
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

The only person who can give you that information is the vet who is treating her.