Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

my dog ate a pound of raw hamburger, will it hurt her she

my dog ate a pound of raw hamburger, will it hurt her? she weighs about 30 pounds
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

She may get a bout of pancreatitis which would show vomiting, diarrhea , fever lethargy and abdominal pain. Generally with pancreatitis you would fast the dog for a day and the next day start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. Give two tablespoons first then wait a few hours and give her two more if she held down the first two. gradually you would start adding in her regular dog food. The purpose of the fast is to allow time for intestines to become less inflamed, but she can and should be drinking water. If it become serious than a longer fast may be needed but this would be done at a vet office with IV fluids for support of dehydration. For now I would not feed her anymore and keep an eye on her. Check for any fever if she starts acting out of sorts. Normal for dogs (taken rectally) is 100.5 to 102.5.

Here is more on pancreatitis.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So at this point you do not reccomend that I take her to a vet, not until or if she should show signs of diarrhea or vomiting, would you take her then or just hold off to see if she is responding to no food for one day?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I understand, fast her for one day, giving her only water, add in small amount of food the following day, if she does ok with that, then continue to add food until her normal feed amount. If she can not eat the food with stomach upset or fever then take her to the vet.

Thank you for your response, I feel much better now.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome and you have it exactly right. Best of luck to you:)