Jessica, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice

hi got a 6yr old staffie been ill since tuesday seems to be

hi got a 6yr old staffie been ill since tuesday seems to be hunching his self up yelps in pain when touched round the abdomen not eaten much or drunk anything much retches slighly every now and then .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jessica replied 7 years ago.
Hi there. There could be a number of things going on with your dog. I recommend you call your vet ASAP as some of them can be life threatening.

He may have pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas that can be quite painful and cause a dog not to eat or feel sick. He may have an obstruction caused by something he has eaten that he shouldn't have (bones, toys, etc.). He may also have a torsion of the stomach, where the stomach turns over on itself. Another possible cause of pain is a back injury...dogs may hunch up and not want to eat or drink. He may need to take some xrays of your dog's belly to determine what the cause of the pain is. And he may also wish to run some bloodwork on him as well to check the pancreas function and see how his blood and organs are looking.

You wrote that you've given him antibiotics and antiinflammatories...were these prescribed by your vet for this illness, or are they something you just had around the house? Please let your vet know what you gave and how much of it as well just in case.

Because there are so many possibilities, it would be in your best interest to see your vet today, if possible. I hope he is OK, and please feel free to reply with any further questions!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes took him to the vets the other day but thought at the time it was his leg. thats why vet prescribed antibiotics and pain relief it really only became evident to day that its not that but it seems to be coming from his abdomen and he has not really done any number two's either
Expert:  Jessica replied 7 years ago.
He needs an xray, immediately and definitely. Vets will always treat for the easiest thing first and if symptoms persist, they will go from there. I'm worried about obstruction or pancreatitis in particular. Since he's not defecating, I'm leaning towards a bowel obstruction. He may require surgery, so please bring him back today if at all possible, or see your nearest emergency vet.

Let me know what they find. Best of luck.