Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my dog has a green color discharge coming from her vagina...what

Customer Question

my dog has a green color discharge coming from her vagina...what med's does she need to cure?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

How old is your dog?

Is she spayed?

How long has she had this discharge?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is spayed...has been since she was a small puppy, she is 2 1/2 now. the discharge started around august 20th a few days after we took her swimming in a lake. she was on the pennicilin 125mg 2x per day for 3 weeks, the discharge had almost completely disapeared, but then returned, with now the green color.
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

I would talk to your vet about doing a culture and sensitivity on the discharge.

This involves taking a sample of the discharge and spreading it on agar plates (petri dishes), then adding little antibiotic discs. In a couple days, you look at the dishes again, and use the antibiotics on the discs where nothing grew...

Unfortunately it sometimes takes a little bit before an effective antibiotic can be found that works, but don't get discouraged. The culture and sensitvity should take care of things.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ya I know that, I learned that in micro, but seeing as how I don't have agar, or antibiotic disc's I was asking your oppinion on a med, there are not a whole lot of species that produce a green discharge.

Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

My opinion is that you need to have your vet do the culture and sensitivity.

Even if I had an opinion of which antibiotic to use, I wouldn't be able to give you a dose or even tell you what to it's against the law to prescribe medication to an animal a vet doesn't have a personal relationship with.

Your girl could have a simple infection from swimming in the lake...however, she could also have a stump pyometra, which would require a whole different type of medication.