LSU-Vet
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
12131827

dog: 14 year old..rimadyl to previcoxx, and pancreatitis..adopting

Customer Question

Hello Again:
Don't know if you remember me from few months back, we had a 14 year old dog Lucky that passed away at 14. You had helped us through switching her from Rimadyl to Previcoxx, and Pancreatitis. We are thinking about adopting a rescue dog that is suppose to be a Dutch Shepard Lab Retriever mix. She is almost a year old and we are suppose to get her on Sept 21st. I wanted to send you a few thumbnails of her and see if you think that is the correct breed mix. How do I send you an attachment with these photos??

regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dan Myers
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
<p>I there! Glad you are thinking about adopting. To attach a photo click on the link that looks like a tree, this will allow you to attach photos. I will do my best in letting you know the mix I THINK she is, but it is always hard to tell with mixes as you know. There are DNA tests that are readily available through your vet where he/she will obtain a sample of either blood or saliva (depending on the test) and have it DNA analyzed. I've gotten some unusual results but I have also gotten very dependable results i.e. confirmed my suspicions.</p><p> </p><p>But do go ahed and send them and I'll do my best.</p><p> </p><p>THanks for adopting!!!!</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Thanks so much for the quick reply as always. Sorry they are only thumbnails.
The shelter that has her right now says she is a Dutch Shepard and Labrador Mix.
What do you think??

regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dan Myers
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm. . . Well honestly, in my years of practice I can't tell you that I have actually seen a Dutch Shepherd, so unless the shelter knows for sure, and has proof that its parent's were such, I honestly don't know.
Very obvious that this is a lab mix, and shepherd seems reasonable too based on the shape of the head.

Since you are adopting this dog from the shelter (which I can't stress how happy I am about that), is it important to you that she truly is a dutch shepherd, especially given that she is a mix??
All I can tell you is that she is cute as can be, and if her personality compares, would be very lucky to have such an awesome family as yours!

Sorry I can't be definitive but it would be impossible for me to tell you if that is what she is mixed with. If you are curious you could have the DNA test done, just be ready for some strange results!
(Example I had a what looked to me to be a mostly lab, the results came back, lab and some sort of hound???) I just smiled and scratched my head, owner did the same :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your comments. Do you see any signs of a Pit Bull in her? She has a
brindle coat but because both Pit Bulls and Dutch Shepards can have brindle coats
we are trying to make sure that the shelter is being honest with us. We meet her
once and she did not look like she had any Pit in her to us, but then I read a couple
of blogs that suggested sometimes dogs are being passed off as Dutch Shepard
mix, when they are really Pit Bulls mixes. I also read that Dutch Shepards are pretty
rare like you said, so we just want to be comfortable what she is without going
through the expense of DNA or anything like that. We love her already and are anxious
to get her on Sept 21st, just want to be comfortable that the shelter is being straight with us.

regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dan Myers
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
I understand your concerns. Based on what I can tell. . . Pitt Bull doesn't come to mind. Your right, sometimes rescue organizations will say that a pitt mix is another breed (bull dog and believe it or not weimariener for a grey pitt is another one I have heard). Unfortunately pitts have been given such a bad reputation, and any other breed is more "marketable" than a pitt. I hope this doesn't come across as faulting the shelter at all, because I respect what they do.

I would feel comfortable in saying that this is not a pitt mix. I hope that eases your concerns, and do let me know when you get her!!! I think she is definitely going to a great home. Best of luck with her and let me know what you name her!!!

Take care.
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks again as always. I am sure will be in touch as we go through life
with her. For now we are going to call her Belle, but it could change as we
get to know each other.

regards

Dan Myers
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
LSU-Vet

Hi, need your advice and help on housebreaking our new dog Belle. She is almost
one and while we have had her only since Monday nite of this week, she continues
to pee and poop in the house daily. We take her out every 4 hours or so, and she does
pee and poop outside also. We know it is likely nerves and the new surrounding but what techniques have you found work best for a dog who is almost one. Interesting she only pees and poops on carpeting. In fact tonite she knocked over a gate we had put up just so she could make on the carpet.

regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dan Myers