Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

My bitch has e coli in her vulva...how can I treat this Denise

Customer Question

My bitch has e coli in her vulva...how can I treat this?
Denise XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 4 years ago.
Hello, you will need to get an antibiotic from your vet to treat the specific strain of the bacteria. There are several types of antibiotics that can be used but your vet would need to run a culture to see which antibiotic will respond the best in this situation. Some bacteria is normal in the vulva but others can cause serious problems and lead to infertility, stillbirths, and infections to the pups as they are pushed through the birth canal. It is best to get the proper antibiotics from your vet and possibly even an antibiotic flush of the vulva may be beneficial as well. I hope this helps you and your baby but please be sure to let me know if you need anything else.
I just saw that you have tried antibiotics. Has your vet done a culture to test which antibiotic will help? Have they done a flush with some possible antibiotics of the vulva? How long have you been on antibiotics and have they been oral and what kind?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The strain she has cannot be cured with antibiotics - 50% chance of an intravenous injections working - but can have side effects-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My vet has had a culture done...came back as I said before no antibiotic would help orally - suggested injections. Haven't done a flush. Different antibiotics for over 2 months
Ok, Iv drugs are stronger and work quicker in most cases and do carry some risks but usually not more than the oral antibiotics. Sounds as though you have a highly resistant strain that will take some tome and energy to get rid of. I would do the Iv drugs at this point to see if you can get it under control I would also talk to your vet about a possible flushing of the vulva as well. You will also want to look at other possible underlying causes that may be preventing the antibiotics form working correctly. For instance the kidneys may have some improper functioning at this point which can lead to a delay int he medication working properly. I would also check her liver and her spleen to make sure that are functioning correctly so that they can fight things off as well as let the antibiotic work properly. A lot of time there is another cause that is lurking beneath the surface and which prohibits the meds from working correctly or the body from responding to them. I would do a full blood work up to check all the levels in her body to make sure that everything beneath the surface is functioning correctly and talk to your vet about other possible issues that may be making the E coli a secondary issue at this point and if you can take care of the first issues the e coli will be easier to treat. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: 10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you - will suggest these things to him
Your welcome and good luck!