Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

I have just given my dog molasses and her stomach is constantly

I have just given my dog molasses and her stomach is constantly contracting / convulsing.
Should I call the vet?
Is she trying to vomit? Did this start after you gave the molasses, or was this going on before that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have now sent more information - started trying to vomit but now tummy is contracting
OK, thanks for the additional info.

I would suggest not giving anything by mouth at this time -- rather, it is better to withhold food and water for 6 to 8 hours to let things settle down. If the vomiting stops, then you could attempt to administer small amounts of water for a few hours, then progress back to tiny amounts of food.

Molasses should not be harmful nor toxic -- but it could cause some stomach upset, since most dogs are not accustomed to such sugary sweet substances. In addition, there's no accepted medicinal usage for molasses, so it's not going to be helpful for treating or preventing any sort of illness anyhow.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She hasn't actually vomited - it is now only this sharp panting and the stomach contractions - of course I don;t know what it was she actaully ate off the grass but assumed it was a frog poo. Is there any point when I should call a Vet out on emergency - it is night time here. She is still sitting up and perky enough apart from the other symptoms.
If she is trying to vomit and nothing is coming up, or if she becomes weak, very lethargic, or shows any signs of worsening rather than improving, then I would certainly consider calling the veterinarian. I think it's most likely that this is just some stomach upset, but I worry about "bloat" or GDV which is a condition where the stomach twists and fills with gas, leading to a life threatening situation. This usually shows up as discomfort and retching without vomit coming up.