Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

my female chichuahua has been licking her vigina all day now

my female chichuahua has been licking her vigina all day now it is swollen red and raw, what might be causing her tio do this?
How old is she?

Is there any kind of discharge dripping...blood, mucous, urine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is about a year in a half old, and no there is no discharge of any kind coming from there. She is warm to the touch thou as if she may have a fever. She is drinking and eating as normal, and still active
Just a few more things...please tell me:

Has she been surgically sterilized (spayed) as a puppy, or does she still have her uterus and ovaries?

Does she spend most of her time indoors or outdoors?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is not spayed, and she spends equal time in and out doors, I did treat her for fleas yesterday with Sergants gold the tube kind that goes down between the shoulder blades to the tail, and also gave her a bath in Joy dish soap.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

It sounds as though your Little Gal is "in heat"...if she has not had a reproductive cycle before, then this would be Puberty for her. If you don't want puppies, then keep her strictly separated from any males dogs at all! Having her surgically sterilized will prevent her from getting pregnant AND help reduce her chance of getting breast cancer later on.
Female Reproductive Information here.

There are a number of other things that can cause irritation and swelling of the vulvar tissues...vaginitis in dogs can be caused by viral, yeast or bacterial infections of the skin, inner surface of the vagina, or bladder. A veterinarian's help is need to treat these problems.
Canine Vaginitis Information here.

It is best to have her examined by a veterinarian who can help you figure out exactly what is going on...if this is not a "heat" cycle, then she will need some medications to help with an infection.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply".

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would a heat cycle make her run around like she has fire ants biting her and she wimpers at times as if something is hurting her? I have never owned a female dog before and she was a rescue as the people that owned her before were going to have her put down, she is a great dog and I just want to help her.
Estrus females can have a wide range of experiences...if she is quite swollen, she may be uncomfortable, indeed! Especially if she has not cycled before--this can be confusing and weird for maiden females.

It is also likely that she is BOTH in-heat AND having some kind of infectious discomfort, especially if her nutrition and general care were not good before.

You might try a cool yogurt compress: take PLAIN yogurt with active cultures, mix it with a little bit of water and apply a cloth compress to her bottom to see if this takes away some of the fire. Blot dry (don't wipe). Repeat every 4 hours if needed.

If she is not significantly better by Tuesday, or gets any worse, have her examined by a veterinarian in person to make sure there is nothing really going wrong.

Let me know if you have other good questions about this by clicking "Reply", otherwise I thank you in advance for your "Accept" and for giving her a safe place to live!