Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

Waht is the big, soft lump on my dogs neck, near the throat

Waht is the big, soft lump on my dogs neck, near the throat? It is on the left side, close to center, and is large lemon size.
Submitted: 4 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.

How old is your dog?

What breed?

Has your vet evaluated this lump and then prescribed antibiotics and metacam for your dog? If so, what was the vet's diagnosis and how long ago did you first notice the lump?

Is your dog eating, drinking and eliminating normally?

Is he active and alert?

Does this lump seem to cause him pain when you touch it or even when you don't touch it?

Do you have any other pets?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Our dog is approx 10.5 months old. We recently did a blood-sample DNA test through Mars and his results came back as some German Shepherd dog and all of the rest was so mixed that they were not able to identify any other specific breeds. He is about 95 lbs and approx. 28" at the shoulder and has the black and tan Rottie-type markings.

Our vet tried to drain some fluid from the lump, but was unable to get any. She did not have a diagnosis. She wants to keep him on the antibiotics and reevaluate him on Wednesday. I only noticed the lump on Friday night and we got him in to our vet on Saturday morning. I run my hands over him almost daily and did not feel anything there the day before.

He is eating, drinking and eliminating normally. He is active and alert as normal.

The lump does not seem to cause him pain at any time. He does not show any reluctance to my touching the lump and does not appear to be lying in any different positions to avoid contact with it.

We have a 12-year-old German Shepherd/Rottie cross male dog, and two mostly indoor cats. He interacts a great deal with them. We also have 5 formerly wild burros and one small goat. He does have some peripheral contact with these animals and I have caught him trying to eat their manure in the past.

Thank you very much for any help you can give us.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

You are to be commended for getting your dog into the vet's office, immediately after discovering this lump!

There are a variety of possibilities of what this soft lump may be, and one, is a 'lipoma', which is a fatty tumor that typically is not dangerous. The thyroid gland is located in the throat area, and this swelling may be related to a thyroid problem, so ask your vet about this.

Because your dog has other pet companions, it's possible that he received a scratch or bite from one of the cats that developed into an abscess under the skin, or a hard 'nudge' or kick from one of the burros or goat, could have caused this area to swell.

If the vet was unable to aspirate any fluid from the lump, it may not be a fluid-filled cyst, but more tests are needed. A routine blood work-up would be a good start.

If the lump remains the same size and doesn't decrease/disappear, ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatology specialist, to have it checked out further.

You can try to locate a specialist in your area at an ER vet center or Veterinary College.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy.

Cher
Experience: Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.