Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Small Animal/Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 25 yrs! Former Zookeeper

I have a 5 week old puppy who is vomiting worms. How do I treat

I have a 5 week old puppy who is vomiting worms. How do I treat him, as it is Sunday and Monday is Labor Day. I feel awful for him, he seems to have lost his appetite.

Congratulations on your new addition(the puppy, not the worms!)

Although it is more costly, you should take him to an emergency room for treatment if he is not eating or drinking, or if he is, if he cannot keep the nutrition inside of him. At 5 weeks, he should still be with his mother.

You might find a vet who will look at the worms abd run a fecal exam on his poop today, but that is not very likely unless you are already established with that hospital.

OTC products can do more harm than good, especailly if he is anemic and needs further treatments since he is so young.

I hope this helps and answers your question. If you have more questions about this problem, please press 'reply'. If you are satisfied, press the green ACCEPT icon. Bonuses and feedback are always appreciated.

Dr. Lisa

After reading your note I am thinking what a lucky puppy!

Dr. Lisa