Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Is Patchouli harmful to dogs

Is Patchouli harmful to dogs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
How are you wanting to use the patchouli, and for what purpose?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My mom had it in a bowl, I guess you could say it's like potporri. The dog walked up to it to sniff it and blew most of it everywhere. Right now she is very sick. Vomiting and bloody diarrhea for 24 hrs. Took her to the vet yesterday, CBC shows dehydration, Parvo was negative. They gave her a shot to make her stop vomiting, and an antibiotic shot (cepholosporin) but she is worse. I have her at the vet now requesting IV fluids as well as a chem panel. The patchouli is the only thing I can think of that she got into, and that was on Sunday.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
OK, thanks for the additional info. Patchouli, and potpurri in general, is not really considered toxic in the amounts that dogs typically get access to -- however, fairly severe gastrointestinal upset can result from ingesting it. If it was just sniffed, I have a hard time believing that it caused a major problem, but it's also possible that your dog is just very sensitive to this sort of product.

I think the chem panel is a great idea, along with the IV fluids, since most potpourri-type GI issues wind up requiring some supportive type care and rehydration.

If nothing else turns up, I'd have to recommend an x-ray to be sure that she didn't ingest something you're not aware of, and also a fecal analysis to check for intestinal parasites.