Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

My vet has prescribed Prednisone and Clavamox for my dogs reaction

My vet has prescribed Prednisone and Clavamox for my dogs reaction to a flea infestation. I have started her on the Clavamox but have not started her on the Prednisone due to the side affects listed on line. She has been on the Clavamox for 2 days and is not showing any improvement. What other options are out there without the side affects?
Hi kbs,

Are you talking about a reaction to flea medication...or to the fleas themselves?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Fleas themselves
Did the vet give you any products to get rid of the fleas? If so what were they, and when did you apply them?

What type of symptoms of the flea infestation is she showing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He gave me the frontline flea and tick medicine which I applied today and the 2 medications that I e-mailed you about. That was all he advised.
Do you have any other pets in your house?
If so, are they also now on a flea preventative?

Is your dog's skin very rad, rashy and irritated?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no other pets. Her skin tone is a bright red and itchy and I would guess irritated.
The reason that she likely has not felt better yet, is because she had not really been treated for the fleas. Now that she has the Frontline on, this is going to help her to get better. The Clavamox is an antibiotic, and the vet has prescribed this to help clear up any secondary bacterial infection that she now has in her skin due to the constant flea irritation and scratching that she is doing.

Prednisone is not unsafe when given for short periods of time. There are virtually no real dangerous side effects if you only give prednisone for a few days. If your vet gave you some prednisone, it is likely because of the severe irritation that your dog is experiencing. I do recommend that you give the pred. Your dog will feel so much better if you do, and will help her to feel well while the Frontline begins doing its job. I am assuming the pred that your vet gave you was for a short period of time.

There really is no OTC medication that I can recommend that is going to reduce your dog's discomfort, like the prednisone will. If she were my dog, I definitely would use the prednisone (and I am definitely NOT a vet that prescribes prednisone frequently).

I hope that this helps you out, and that your dog feels better soon,

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My vet is recommending the following doses of the Prednisone. 4 tablets for 2 days,2 tablets for 10 days then 1 tablet everyother day until depleted. Does this sound okay?
How much does your dog weigh?

How many mg (milligrams) are each of the Prednisone tablets?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My dog weighs 25 pounds. The tablet has 50/94 on it the bottle does not give milligrams
That is really weird that your bottle doesn't say how many milligrams the tablets fact, in most states, its illegal.

Does your invoice/bill say how many milligrams the prednisone is?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it does not
Wow....that's criminal.

I can't really tell you if this dose is okay, as prednisone comes in many different sizes...and I have no idea how much the dose is.

In most hospitals, the prednisone tabs are 5 mg and 20 mg. 20 mg tablets would be WAY too large for your dog. 5 mg tablets would be appropriate, however 4 of them per day is a very large dose for a 25 lb dog, for just some itching. Some hospitals carry 1 mg tablets, and 4 of these, would be a fairly low dose for your dog. you can see my dilemma, I really can't tell you if this dose is okay.

If I were you, I would call your vet in the morning, and ask him how many milligrams those tablets are. You can then let me know...and when I able to check my messages..I can get back to you on this.

Dr. K