Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

Is there any over the counter medicines that can replace Clavamox

Customer Question

Is there any over the counter medicines that can replace Clavamox and Rimadyl... my dog has a dog bite but I cannot afford the vet visit and overpricing of medicines right now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Although these two medicines are regulated by the government and can only be dispensed by a vet who has examined your pet, please ask your veterinarian for written prescriptions.

You should ask for generic prescriptions for:

Meloxicam (the generic of the Merial Animal Health pain medicine "Metacam").

Large store pharmacies (like Walmart or other chain food stores) are now offering very good discounts on human generics.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply".

Expert:  Gen B. replied 7 years ago.
The link above malfunctioned...see Meloxicam info is given once a day and may be more economical than etodolac.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are these Medicines for animals?? I sounds like they are for human consumption? Can I use Amoxicillin instead of Clavamox... is that safe for my dog?
Expert:  Gen B. replied 7 years ago.
Amoxicillin is only one of the ingredients in Clavamox...Augmentin is just the human brand name for the same antibiotic. If you use amoxicillin alone, it may not be effective. When it is given in the combination-with-clavalunate (clav-amox) it is much more effective at killing bacterial cells.

There is no human equivalent of Rimadyl (brand name carprofen by Pfizer Animal Health), so I suggested either a human equivalent of Metacam (by Merial--given once daily) or Etogesic (by Ft. Dodge--given twice daily). If he's not really having a lot of inflammation or pain, this type of treatment is not strictly necessary. The human generics will simply cost you far less than the brand names...even Rimadyl bought "online" will be expensive.

Your vet can write you prescriptions for dosages of these medicines that would be right for your pet's weight and wound.

Let me know if you have other questions about this by clicking "Reply".