Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dogs (lab) bump is at the top of the anus, under the tail.

My dog's (lab) bump is at the top of the anus, under the tail. It is not very firm, but more "squishy" and about 1/2" in diameter.   It is not red. It does not appear to be painful to him.

He is scooting on the floor at times but not incessantly by any means.

Since the location is not at 5 and 7 o'clock, I am thinking it is not anal sacs that need to be drained.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Well, can't rule-out anal sacs, but certainly doesn't sound like them if you can actually "see" the bump and because of positioning.
I am a little more worried about an early mass forming, or perhaps, some type of hypersensitivity reaction.
Now, either way, if there is any amount of scooting, then those anal glands must be checked, otherwise, the scooting will exacerbate the inflammation involving whatever this bump may be. It could even be a bite/sting from an insect.
However, we do see a lot of benign and not so benign growths involving the rectal tissue, so it is worth getting this examined sooner than later when it is smaller and easier to address.

Depending upon examination, certain topical medications could be recommended, an even a fine-needle aspirate test.

A fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to determine if it is anything to be worried.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - Your comment on hypersensitivity makes me wonder. We noticed the butt scooting a couple weeks ago and assumed that it was gnats or other inscts irritating this area. I then went to Petsmart and purchased DermCare anti-itch spray and have been using this on him for over a week now. If you think this could be causing a reaction I can provide the ingredients.. .....
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Not a reaction to the spray. That would not result in a bump, but a diffuse inflammatory response to the entire area where it is applied.
The bump is separate and we still can't rule-out that the glands also need to be expressed.