Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 10 years.
14047027

WESTIE: MY 16..BOARDED..eventhough HE IS STILL PANTING..USUAL

MY 16 MONTH OLD WESTIE WAS BOARDED AT HIS VET FOR 5 DAYS. EVENTHOUGH HE IS STILL PANTING AND VERY EXITED AFTER BEING PICKED UP AN HOUR AGO, HE SEEMED FINE. HE JUST STARTED TO BARK AND HIS USUAL HIGH PITCH BARK IS NOW VERY DEEP. HE ALSO SEEMS VERY THIRSTY. COULD THIS BE FROM EXCESS BARKING WHILE WE WERE GONE. DOES HE NEED TO BE LOOKED AT. HE HAD ALL HIS SHOTS AND KENNEL COUGH VACCINES BEFORE HE WAS BOARDED

THANKS

HelloCustomer

I am sorry to hear that your boy is having these problems.

A couple of things that could be going on are:

-the excessive barking as you suggest

-a respiratory infection such as kennel cough. While the vaccine helps in most cases, it doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of an infection.

If he starts coughing at home in the next day or so, you will have some idea about kennel cough.

Otherwise, if he is eating and drinking well, I would expect his "voice" to return to normal in 2-3 days. If it does not, or if he is not eating and drinking well, he should be evaluated by your veterinarian.

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them using the "reply" function.

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig