Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 10 years.
14047027

My 9 year old Pomeranian has small sores on her back and sides.

Customer Question

My 9 year old Pomeranian has small sores on her back and sides. About three of them. Two different vets have seen her for these and have given me two different answers, both useless.

They look like little black scabs, and the top is easily picked off to reveal an almost pussy yellow and bloody substance. They are all about the size of a pea or smaller. The seem to be itchy but not painful when I try to clean them.

The first vet did tests for cancer, fungus and parasites. All negative. Then she told me they would have to cut off the biggest one. She went through surgery and has a huge scar just for the little sore. She was in a lot of pain afterward and more ended up growing elsewhere.

The second vet did the same tests, again negative. He put her on a course of antibiotics, both topical and oral, which did nothing. (I did follow the directions, I know how antibiotics work). He said its just irritated skin. (What?!)

Please help! How many vets do I have to go to!
Amy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Schillig replied 5 years ago.

Hello Amy,

I am sorry to hear about your girl's problems.

My biggest question is that with your first veterinarian, when surgery was performed, was the mass submitted for pathology?

That is really where I believe the answer needs to come from to get an answer. Are these cysts (which would be my suspicion), or are the tumors of some type? A biopsy will give those answers.

If that hasn't been done, I would have it done soon, and ask your vet to make sure the samples are submitted to veterinary dermatohistopathologist. It's a big, fancy word, but it means someone who specializes in skin lesions.

When she was on systemic antibiotics, which ones were they? And how long and how frequently were they given? You might be surprised how often doses are given too low or too infrequently or even too short of a period of time to be effective.

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them using the "reply" function.

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so I looked through my files and found that when she had the surgery it was sent to histopathology. There answer for me afterward was that it wasn't cancer and theres nothing to worry about. However, if these things wont go away then Im going to worry.

I could not find the information on the antibiotic they had me try, unfortunately.

Hello again Amy,

I would put a call in to that office and see if you can get a copy of the pathology report. If this is a cyst of some sort, then it truly is not something to worry about, unless they get infected.

Having said that, dogs who get cysts can start to get more and more of them (as you have seen). If this is the case, it may be that there is truly nothing to do unless the lesions get infected or you want to have them removed each time they show up.

Likewise with the antibiotics, if you can get some more information, I am happy to give you my impressions.

I will be available for further questions and follow up once you get that information from the vet if you would like my input.

Good luck,

Dr. Schillig

Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 10 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! I will certainly call the office and get more information. You have been very helpful.

You are welcome, let me know when you have some more information.

Dr. Schillig