Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

I have a puppy who is about four months old-he keeps having

I have a puppy who is about four months old-he keeps having these bumpy red marks that almost look like bits appearing on him. You see him scratch on occasion- but nothing out of the ordinary.
He has no fleas or ticks. I have another dog and two cats- they have no bit (or whatever it is) on them. What could this be??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 7 years ago.
Hello, this sounds as though there is an allergic reaction going on to something that he is exposed to on a regular basis. It could be plastic (bowels or collars are the most likely), it could be laundry detergent that is being used or cleaning supplies or even food or treats that he may be having. I would eliminate any type of plastic that he may be getting exposed to and replace with steel if they are bowels or leather if they are collars. I would also try and look at what he is exposed to most when he breaks out and try eliminating that form his daily activities to see if that will help the situation. You can give Benedryl at a rate of 1 to 2 mg per pound of body weight to help the bumps go down and to keep him form itching. There is also a possibility that he is allergic to fleas or certain grasses as well. You may have a flea or tick problem outside int he yard and it only will take 1 bite if he is allergic to them. I would spray your yard with flea and tick spray to eliminate that possibility. The fleas do not have to be on him to cause a reaction but can just bite him in passing outside when he is playing or using the bathroom. I hope this will help you but let me know if you need anything else.