Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My chihuahua is gagging an puking up clear liquid. I took

My chihuahua is gagging an puking up clear liquid. I took her to the vet this morning for a regular check up and she had some diarrhea last night...Vet gave cans of dog food to feed her (my chihuahua) and she's been throwing up all day

The gold standard for treatment of vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally vomiting is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 24 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the vomiting persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet again, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection.

I hope this helps!!