Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My daughters 3 year old Shih Tzu is bleeding from the rectum.

My daughter's 3 year old Shih Tzu is bleeding from the rectum. He is having a little loose stool with blood. They have tried adding normal flora to his diet and a medication that may help with a tear in his intestinal tract but the bleeding continues. He is a sweet puppy and I hate to see him die because they are treating him for diarrhea not the bleeding.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

Dogs may have a little bleeding or discharge from the rectum for a couple reasons: damage done to the rectum while defecating, certain types of cancer, impacted/infected anal glands, parasite infection and polyps are just a few.

If there is only a small amount of drainage around the area, I would just keep an eye on it for now. Sometimes dogs will try to pass a large amount of fecal material and can cause small tears in their rectum. These generally will heal on their own without any sort of medical intervention. Feeding the dog some canned pumpkin (make sure that it's only real canned pumpkin, not the pie filling) can help make the stool a little easier to pass, thereby helping to not tear things any further.

Parasites such as worms and protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia can produce blood in the stool and blood from the rectum after bowel movements. You can read about these here:

A problem with the anal glands can also cause a bit of bleeding. You can find more information on those here: .

You can read about rectal polyps here:

Whatever the cause, rectal discharge is never normal and I think it's a VERY good idea to give your vet a call when they open and have them take a peek at him, just to be sure that this isn't something more serious than just a little tear from defecating.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is not a little bleding. He has been to Vet so I assume he was tested for parasites. They are treating him for diarrhea and because of a fever they have also given him antibiotics in addition to the aforementioned treatments.
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

Just going to the vet doesn't always mean they test for parasites...but they could have.

It's not unusual for a dog to have bleeding if they've had diarrhea. The force of the defecation can cause tears in the rectum that are quite severe and can deposit a lot of blood on the feces.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just to let you know the Shih Tzu was operated on Sunday and had cancer so they had to put him to sleep. They said it is very rare in a dog that young. WE are sick.