Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

my dog keeps dragging her belly along the carpet and cushions

my dog keeps dragging her belly along the carpet and cushions etc. Underneath her fur has worn away a small bit and her skin is very red in parts that she itches. Any ideas? I don't think its fleas as I got her from the pound and she had fleas then and we gave her the flea treatments and it cleared up. Any idea of what I could use to even sooth it? can you put caomile lotion on a dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

What breed of dog is it?

How often have you used flea shampoo? what brand did you use?

What type of food does the dog eat?

Are there any sores or is it just a rash from rubbing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Sally,

Its a Jack Rusell terrier. I used the flea shampoo 3 times, saturday, tuesday and saturday, approx 3 weeks ago. It seem to stop the manic itching. It was Bob Martin Fea shampoo from pet shop.

The dog eats a small bowl of Pedigree chum complete mix biscuity food. We also let her chew on bone from the butchers, every other day. Her only other treats are small bits of wafer or a dog dental stick. There is a red sore between the front to paws, then another where a belly bottom would be. from that one then all the way to the back legs in a trangular shape over genitals all the fur is now bald. The dog like rub back and forward the whole time.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for that information. I would stop using the flea shampoo as it may be drying out the skin which is causing the itching. There are several things to look at when it comes to scratching. Allergies to food, air or flea, mange,fungal infections, bacterial infections, or yeast infections and the only way to determine mange, fungal, bacterial, or yeast is to have a skin scraping done by a vet and each would require a different treatment.

If it is an allergy to food then you will see a rash on the belly or inner thighs as well , if it is an airborne allergy you will likely see her licking the paws causing redness, scratching and possible runny eyes. Dogs can develop allergies at any time in their life. Seasonal allergies such as grass, pollen, dust, dust mites, ragweed are more common allergens, but anything a dog can breathe in can cause a problem.

When it comes to food, then chicken, corn wheat, lamb or beef can cause major problems. I would suggest you take the dog in for exam to determine the cause and that you stop giving baths in anything other than oatmeal baths for dogs and you can use pure aloe on the rash to sooth it.

I would also recommend you start adding omega fatty acids to the dogs diet daily which will help to build the skin and coat and can help with allergies. I sue fish oil which works well. But here is more on this and options.

Omega fatty acids

puritans pride fish oil:

Dr foster smith skin and coat tabs

Benadryl had been known to help with the itch. You can read precautions and dosing here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much, she will be brought to the vet tommorrow and an oatmeal bathed tonight. i have noticing her licking her paws and redness after walking the park - so thats also very intersting. Thanks you so much for your help
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome. Best of luck to you and your pup.