Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

My dog has sprained leg, according to the vet. She had x-ray

My dog has sprained leg, according to the vet. She had x-ray and was with splinter for 4 weeks but still can not walk. What could be the reason for that?
Valerie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 7 years ago.

Hello, it is possible that your baby may have injured her cruciate ligament and that is why she is still having trouble being able to walk. Most of the time the ligament needs to be repaired surgically and that is the only way they will get use back out of their leg. The splint would not do much good in this instance except for possibly let the leg heal with the ligament contracted. If the ligament healed contracted then it would not have as much room to work so it would be unable to be used after the splint came off. I would ask your vet about the possibility of a torn cruciate ligament and see if they would be able to repair it surgically. That will take some time to heal but your baby will get full use of her leg back after recovery (about 6 weeks). I would ask for your vet to re x ray the leg and to also palpate th e knee to see if the knee is loose and confirm the ton cruciate ligament. I hope this will help you but let me know if you need anything else. Here are a some links with info on cruciate ligaments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg9E2nBt_E

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ruptured-cranial-cruciate-ligament-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think my dog have pain every time she tries to step with her injured leg. Her knee seems is moving ok, despite that is little bit enlarged. When she walks she keeps the injured leg high and uses only the other 3 healthy legs. What could be?
Hello, even if it is a cruciate ligament that is torn she will still move the knee but she will not put pressure on it like sh e is doing now. There will also be swelling in the leg as well if there has been a partial tear or a full tear. I still think it could be the cruciate ligamant in the knee right now but the only way to tell for sure is to have your girl sedated, x rayed, and the knee palpated to see if it is or not. I would discuss with your vet the possibility of sedating her and looking more closely at the leg.