Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

My 7 month old puppy was spayed last Tuesday & incision now

Customer Question

My 7 month old puppy was spayed last Tuesday & incision now oozing. Sequence of events:
a. Spay went very well, incision is only about 2 inches on a 55 pound German Shepherd, no e-collar, Gave the incision an occasional lick.
b. Next day she felt fine, noticed little dots rising in the area that was shaved, got bigger over the next few days, and she started licking the area more. Dots now looking like pimples or hives. Incision itself was still looking good.
c. On Sat, talked with the vet's techs - might be razor burn so started giving Benadryl.
d. On Sun, hives still there so took her in - doc said hives, so gave GentaSpray.
e. On Mon, area worse and incision had one dot ooze, so took her in again - doc said infection & reaction to antiseptic spray and/or GentaSpray. Started antibiotics & continue Benadryl.
f. Today incision oozing more.

a. Is oozing at one week normal?
b. Is allergic reaction to antiseptic common?
c. At what point should I take her back in
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 7 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your baby is having some issues with her surgery site. Oozing at a week after a surgery can be normal or can not be depending on what type of ooze is coming out. If it is clear then that should be fine but if it is colored in any way that is not normal and can mean a few things. It could be that she is having a reaction to the suture that they used to close her up. Some dogs will have a reaction (allergic) to the sutures that are used. It could also mean that she has an infection in one of the layers of closure in the abdomen. More than likely if the abdomen is not swollen or there is not any discoloration anywhere besides the incision site she is just having a reaction to the suture that was used. A round of antibiotics should do the trick and the draining of the area is actually good so that it does not get caught under the skin and cause an abscess. I would just stay on the antibiotics for now and use warm compresses to help drain the area and give some relief as well. If however she develops a fever (anything over 101) or goes off her food or starts to vomit then I would seek help from your vet. If the incision starts to ooze more or gets discolored or the discharge gets thicker or has a foul smell to it then see your vet as well. I hope this will help you guys but let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the info. The ooze is clear right now and she's as perky and hungry as ever. They did check her temp yesterday and now that you mention it, I remember they did mention something about reacting to sutures. If it truly she is reacting to the sutures, what will happen? I assume they can't go back in and re-stitch her with something else?

Actually more than likely they will leave the sutures in place and not mess with them. It is really probably only a temporary reaction and it will go away. As the wound heals it will get better and there will be less reaction. Mostly cause the scar tissue will build up somewhat and form almost a protective barrier against it. So the scar may be somewhat slightly puffier than normal but other then that there should be nothing else wrong with it. The only reason they would remove the suture would be if the area does not heal or becomes a problem with healing. Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. It stopped oozing today - e-collar since Monday has kept her from licking at it more. She won't hold still very long, but from what I can see, a scab is forming and it seems the whole area (incision & hives) is less pink/inflammed. Hopefully the rest of the recovery will be easier.
Your welcome and good luck.