Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

can a dog get chiggers and if so how do you treat them Th

Customer Question

can a dog get chiggers and if so how do you treat them? Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Yes, a dog can get chiggers, if you live in an area prone to them. You can read more about this itchy parasite, here:

The treatment consists of either two pyrethrin-based dips spaced two weeks apart, or the application of a topical antiparasite drug to a localized area such as the ears. Topical or injectable steroids can be administered to the dog for several days to help alleviate any itching, as well.

Bring your dog to the vet for an in-person evaluation and definite diagnosis, and then he will be treated for the condition found. So far, you're treating the itching, but you need to know what's causing it, in order to get the most appropriate treatment to resolve the situation.

I hope all will be well with your dog.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had already found this link so this does me no good.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took her to the vet. No, dogs doesn't get chiggers. It is allergies. She was put on medicine for them. Thanks