Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

Is it possible for dogs to get corns 18 months on and 1500

Is it possible for dogs to get corns? 18 months on and £1500 down the drain, my chocolate lab still has a problem with his front right foot. it started when a thorn went through the web (from the underneath upwards) between his first 2 toes. He was given antibiotics and anti inflamatorys and seemed to clear up. It left him with a sort of "knobble" on his foot but it didn't seem to bother him. About a month later he started chewing his foot again so back to the vets. He had six weeks of poultices to draw out anything that might be in there. Nothing was found. He had a biopsy and nothing was found, then a skin scraping for dodgy infections but all clear.
We were told to keep it dry which we did, using the vet's drip bags as protection for weeks. He has plastic collars/boots, you name it but nothing works. OK for a while but then he starts chewing it again.
Left with a very hard ridge of skin between his pads... could this be a corn? The vet said "no" but we are not sure
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 7 years ago.
Hello, sorry to hear that you are having such problems with your baby. It is possible for dogs to get warts so it may be possible for a corn although location doesn't sound like one. It may be a wart or it may be scar tissue that has built up over time of scratching and irritation to the area. Allergies could also cause issue with the feet especially in between the toes. Yeast is another issue that can be in that area and is usually caused by allergies as well. I would ask your vet if he thinks switching food to something that does not contain an corn, chicken or wheat may help the situation. It may stop him from wanting to itch the area and making things worse. I would also think about seeking the help of a dermatologist as well as they may be able to get to the root of the problem rather quickly which would cut the costs back quickly since he would have found the problem quicker than your vet has been able to. I would go ahead and ask for the referral as this may be the quickest and cheapest way to get an answer to your babies problem and I would also ask if changing foods may be beneficial as well. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK and thanks. He has had allergy test but they have decided it isn't that. I will go ahead and see a dermatologist though
Your welcome and I would even ask the specialist about possibilities of allergies as well or at least bring that up as sometimes certain allergies are overlooked in the testing. Good luck and let me know if I can do anything else for you.