Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

I am in the Seattle area where we have recently had record

I am in the Seattle area where we have recently had record heat, and the owner of a 2yr old havanese/lhaso apso mix. she has been fine through the heat wave until yesterday evening. we've kept her very well hydrated, and in the coolest parts of the house if we are not at home - when we are home, she is the rooms with us that have had fans for cooling.
last night we ret'd home after being gone for a few hours to find that she had soiled her crate , and was not acting like herself. After bathing her, she wet on the carpet - which is again not like her - she is very well trained. we cleaned her crate, took her outside for a walk in case she had to relieve herself any further at which time she did and had a runny stool. this morning we woke up and she had not had any accidents, but she was still not herself. panting, walking backwards, and trembling a lot. a call to the vet suggested i take her tempt - it was 101.4, and to reduce her diet. any idea wht cld be wrong? i'm very worri
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your baby is not feeling well and you are concerned. It does sound like possibly she could have gotten overheated and is having a hard time bouncing back at this point. Her temp is not all that abnormal, slightly high but not too worrisome. I would try and keep her as cool as possible and try to hydrate her as much as possible. You can give her some ice cubes if you like to chew on and suck on that way she will be getting fluids and cooling herself at the same time. You can also apply cool compresses to her belly underarms and in between her toes. Those areas are the areas that will help bring down temps the most effectively. I would also possibly try and add a little warm water to the boiled rice and chicken so that she is getting fluids form there as well. You can also dilute pedialyte or gatorade with a little water and give it to her as well to her balance her electrolytes. You may also want to rub some corn syrup or pancake syrup on her gums to see if a little sugar boost will help a low blood sugar level that she may have due to the overheat that she may have suffered. If she does not get better by Monday I would take her to your vet to make sure there is not something more going on with her. I hope this helps but let me know if you need anything else.
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: 10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership