Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

how does a dogs testicles drop he has two large lumps on

how does a dog's testicles drop? he has two large lumps on either side of his penis. Is that what is happening or is it something else. the lumps are hard.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

Dear Texas Tornado,

Have you had your dog since he was a puppy?

Have you noticed the lumps on the sides of the penis coming and going?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have had him since he was 8 weeks old and we have not noticed the lumps before. Last night, he when my husband picked him up he yelped so we looked. he was kind of puffy in the area that the lumps are in now.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.
What breed is he?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is a boston terrier
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

There is a circular gland around the penis called the "bulbis glandis." It is about mid way down the penile sheath. When it becomes engorged with blood, it does look like two round organs on each side of the penis but it sure is not testicles. The bulbis glandis is what keeps the dogs tied together when they mate.

The testicles drop through an opening in the thigh called the inguinal cannal. They should end up at the very end of your dogs abdomen. If they have not dropped by now they are not going to. I recommend you have them removed from the abdomen, or inguinal cannal, because studies show that leaving them in there predisposes them to turning cancerous.

I hope this helps.