Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.
4801514

our dogs paw is swollen. he got hit by a car last week friday

our dog's paw is swollen. he got hit by a car last week friday and the leg that got the brunt of the damage is now the one with a swollen foot. we unwrapped his bandages to help but he is wanting to constantly lick it. He has licked all the skin that has sloughed off but we can not seem to get him to stop.

Should we be concerned?
<p>Were the bandages on the leg with the swollen foot? </p><p>Where is the skin sloughing off?</p><p>Can you take a picture and attach it with the tree icon above on the tool bar in the reply box?</p><p>How is his appetite and energy level?</p><p>Is he able to bear weight on the swollen foot?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the bandages were on the leg with the swolled foot. It was not swollen earlier today, I noticed it this evening.

the skin is sloughing off under his belly and he licked off one of the areas on his hind right leg that had "scabbed" over.

His appetite is good. he climbs the stairs but has lately been wanting to sleep in everyone's closets???

The foot that is swollen is the same side where his hip is out. Due to his injuries the vet wanted to wait to put his hip in since it would require surgery. he was hoping to heal the rest of him up before taking care of that.

we have been giving him antibiotics and pain meds. Antibiotics 2x a day every 12 hours. we have been faithful with this.

We picked him up from the emergency hospital on Monday am and took him to the vet that morning. He said it looked great and to change bandages every 3-4 days. we did that on Thursday and he has just been at the bandages.

I am trying to get the photos sent to you. could I just email them to you. I took the photos on my phone. graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You should definitely get an elizabethan collor on him to keep him from licking the foot. Sometimes if the bandages are a little snug it can create swelling like that. The other possibility would be that there is some infection under the skin. I would let your vet know about this, they may want to change the antibiotic he is taking. You can purchase an e-collar at most pet stores but if your vet is open in the morning I would get one there and let them have a look at that paw. If skin is sloughing, you will need to be shown how to take care of that as well and to make SURE that he doesn't lick that area.

Let me know if you have more questions about this,

Dr. Debbie
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much for your help. we will do that
Best of luck to you both.