Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

Several months ago, my husband and I decided to foster a dog

Several months ago, my husband and I decided to foster a dog from a local shelter. Corky is a 2-year old female, 40 lb. lab/corgi. As we suspect from her former life, she had been abused as she lays on her back when I raise my voice when she does something I don't want her to do. When she first came to us, she had a lot of submissive peeing too, but that has stopped unless she is meeting a stranger, and then it's just a little bit. The problem is is when I am walking, she is nipping at my heels. When I am petting her, she is nibbling at my arm. Corky doesn't clamp down, but the nibbling pinches and is very annoying. My husband says that she is trying to get the upper hand, but I don't know how to stop it. Other annoying habits she has: 1) jumping on me or my husband (I've turned my back on her, but she just uses my body as a springboard); 2) not giving me a toy after she retrieves it. Corky then proceeds to chew up the toy just so the other dog won't get it. I need some help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 5 years ago.
Hello, it does sound as though she is tested you to see how far her boundaries are. I would try and reestablish with her who is th e boss. You have brought her far by making her feel comfortable but she has to also learn that there is a boundary and you are not a playmate or equal. The best thing to do with her with the jumping thing for example is to if she goes to jump on you raise your knee so that she gets a knee right to the chest as she is jumping at you. This will startle her and you say no very sternly at the same time saying that this is unacceptable. She will slowly get to know what you mean and know that it is not right to jump on you. Jumping up is a way to establish her dominance over you. If you don't let her get that upper hand on you she will start to understand that she is not the top dog. You will also need to ignore her when she nips at you. If she nips at your hand turn the other way and pay her no attention. You can also pinch her back on the lip or check when she goes for your hand so it also startles her and say no at the same time. When she goes for your foot or ankle bounce her back with your foot or ankle so that she get bumped in the nose while she is doing it. Also tell her no at the same time. Dogs will test their boundaries with you and she is doing nothing more than testing the waters. If you work with her and make sure she understands that she is not your equal and you are not playmates like she would be with another dog she will start to behave. You will just have to be persistent with her and work with her some more. You have made her very comfortable in her new home and have done a great job now she is just testing you to see how nice or how far she can push you. Hopefully this will work for you but let me know if you need anything else.
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: 10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership