Dr. Chris
Dr. Chris, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years experience in dog and cat practice
15211267

My dog has a skin tag (a long wart thing) about 15mm long and

My dog has a skin tag (a long wart thing) about 15mm long and 5 mm wide, rather than putting him under sedation can i remove it some other way.

regards Jane
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Chris replied 5 years ago.
Well, if it's just a skin tag, it may not be necessary to remove it at all. If it doesn't bother the dog, isn't getting bigger, and isn't getting infected, you can just leave it there. If you really want to have it removed, perhaps it can be done with local anesthesia (an injection to numb the area so it can be removed while the dog is awake). However, if the growth is on the face, head, or paws, that might not be an option. It's also only a good option in dogs that are calm and sit still while at the vet's office, otherwise it could become a bloody mess (literally).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the skin tag / wart is on his left upper leg, could i apply 5% peroxide to disinfect it because of the slight bleeding from him knocking it, or someone suggested tying a bit of string around it and gradually over a period of days make it a little bit tighter so it eventually drops off, but i didnt want to do this, i was hoping for a more natural remedy, do you know of one that will kill it like our human wart kill or bandaid trick
Expert:  Dr. Chris replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, because skin tags are different than warts, they won't respond the same way. They usually have a good blood supply and will bleed alot if you try to remove them without suturing the skin. If it is bleeding, don't apply hydrogen peroxide or the bleeding will get worse. You can put some triple antibiotic ointment on it, like Neosporin, to keep it from getting infected. I think if you tie a string around it, the dog will likely just try to remove it with his teeth due to the irritation. Also, that could cause infection as the tissue will gradually die and bacteria will colonize it. It's also painful. Skin tags aren't dangerous growths, so if it isn't bothering the dog, consider just leaving it there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if he does start to lick it and give it attention should i get it removed.
Expert:  Dr. Chris replied 5 years ago.
Yes. If he starts fussing with it, then it will get infected and more irritated, so it should be removed in that situation. Fortunately, when these things are located on the upper part of the leg rather thann the lower leg, or foot, dogs will usually leave them alone.
Dr. Chris, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years experience in dog and cat practice