Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

How to disinfect the carpet when dog has worms plus if said

How to disinfect the carpet when dog has worms? plus if said dog licks people in face can we get the worms?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a few questions?
1) What kind of intestinal parasites was your little one diagnosed with?
2) What treatment did your vet do?
3) Is he/she on heart worm prevention?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is sunday and I have not taken the dog into the vet yet. He is 11 months old. I saw the worm moving in his stool. It was 1 inch long, white and moving like and earth worm moves. Will take him on monday to the vet.
He is on interceptor for dogs that weigh 26-50 lbs.
He goes to the bathroom on potty pads until I get him trained to go out side. He missed the potty pads and the stool was in the carpet.(soft stool)
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
Ok. It sounds like from your description the worm that you saw was a round worm. I would say this is a pretty common intestinal parasite of young dogs. These parasites reproduce by passing eggs in the stool. Then they get eaten. These eggs can be very hardy in the environment, but to be honest, the biggest problem with them in the environment is outside. The eggs can live in the soil months to years. As far as inside on the carpet where the stool came into contact, clean it very well with carpet cleaner a couple times. In the outside environment, if an owner wants to clean a spot, they can use a 1 to 10 dilute bleach mixture. Inside on the carpet though, it wouldn't be good. If you picked up the stool in a reasonable time frame, there most likely isn't a contamination of the carpet.

I would take him into your vet here as soon as you can. They do a fecal check to be sure of the parasites in his system and then make proper deworming recommendations.

Here is a great link to read too.

Hope this helps.