Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

My dog has very red gums and a lump is now developing around

My dog has very red gums and a lump is now developing around his incisor tooth. the gums are flame hamburger red. He is a boxer. What could it be?
Hello, dogs can get gum disease just like people do and that primarily comes form bacteria in the mouth due to not having teeth brushed on a regular occasion like people do. Especially since there is an odor associated with it there could be a slight infection ongoing on in the gums as well. I would suggest a good dental cleaning to help alleviate some of the smell and to get the mouth cleaned up so the gums don't get so red. There is also a condition that boxers, bulldogs, and any short nosed dog can get where the gums actually grow and get large and flap over the gums itself. Most of the time it is not a big deal but can trap dirt and food under the extra skin and cause an infection to develop. Most of the time the vet will trim the extra gum when they are doing the dental but it can and usually comes back n the same spot or different spots. I would just get on a regular schedule of getting his teeth cleaned every 6 to 12 months and at that time they can also trim the gums while they are in there. I hope this will help you but let me know if I can do anything else.