LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian

I have just made an appt to have my 2 year old XXXXX XXXXX

I have just made an appt to have my 2 year old XXXXX XXXXX vaccinated with the Rabies shot. Having just read what side effects can be caused I am now very scared, and think that I will cancel the appontment, what percentage of dogs suffer adverse effects from the rabies vaccine, do you know?

Many thanks Margaret Ashton U.K.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for writing in,

The rabies vaccine is the most administered vaccine mostly due to the requirements by law. In a small percentage of dogs it can cause adverse effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, facial swelling and hives. IF your dog has never had a vaccine reaction before then the chances of him being vaccinated are slim. If you are still concerned then your vet can administer an antihistamine injection prior to this which is what we do for dogs with vaccine reactions and this should eliminate the possibility of those affects. Now it is always possible that he will still be alittle sore at the vaccine site as well as tired this evening. The pros definitely outway the cons in this situation. I hope this helps to make you feel a bit better and happy travels!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your speedy reply, he is not due to be vaccinated until Thursday 16th July, so I have time to reflect, it is very kind of you to put my mind at ease.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Your very welcome, that's what I'm here for!!

If you have found this info helpful, please press the ACCEPT button. THanks!