How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18913
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate a bag of m&ms, which she stole off the count

Customer Question

My dog just ate a bag of m&m's, which she stole off the counter. I understandthat chocolate can be deadly for dogs. What do I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How heavy is your dog { pounds }

2. What was the size of the bag of M&Ms { ounces }

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My dog is a Shih Tzu-Poo and weighs 16 pounds. She ate about 4 - 6 ounces of m&m's.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Chocolate can be poisonous to dogs but they have to eat quite a lot, significantly more than your dog did. You have very little cause for concern here ...

In direct answer to your question : The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when two ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. As your Shih Tzu-Poo is 16 lb in weight she would have had to have swallowed around 22 ounces of milk chocolate before you would start to worry so the 6 ounces she did swallow will be very unlikely to affect her.

It would be wise to keep an eye on her just in case though and contact an emergency vet if you are worried, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. As I said symptoms would be unlikely.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Dr Scott Nimmo and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I will monitor her and hope that all will be well. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again,

Thanks very much for the accept.



Related Dog Questions