Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

My dog's eye looks cloudy. Might have been clawed by our cat.

My dog's eye has suddenly become cloudy. It might have been clawed by our cat. Is there anything I should do tonight before taking her to the vet tomorrow?

How does the eye look this morning?
How is she feeling about it? Keeps eyelids closed, rubs it, shys away from touch?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If anything it's looking cloudier. But no it doesn't seem to be bothering her. No rubbing, no blinking or keeping it closed. It does seem to tear and there looks to be a scratch or cut at the top of her cornea.graphic

Hello and thanks for researching this very important question, and for including your photo!!

The most common reason for cloudiness of the cornea is infection.... And scratches are most frequently to blame in dogs. Once an infective agent (bacterial or fungal) has taken hold, the cornea can begin to fester and ulcerate--this can cause loss of the eye if not addressed medically.

Most ulcerated/scratched/infected corneas are painful (like a paper cut or spider bite), and so most dogs do react protectively.

I am concerned that the white of the eye globe looks very red from the photo--older dogs can develop other conditions of the eye, including cancer, that will make the eyeball bleed internally. An eye that is bleeding internally may not be painful until a great amount of pressure (glaucoma) has built up.

If this were my pet, I'd definitely have this examined at the earliest.. If the vet finds that the eye is indeed bleeding inside, but can't determine why with general diagnostic means, then you may be referred to a specialist for more in-depth evaluation. In the meantime, you'd probably get an antibiotic ointment (or drops) to protect/heal this corneal surface. A corneal abrasion and ulcer would be treated several times daily with very strong antibiotics.